The Alpha Youth Leadership Institute focuses on:
• Continued Education- tutoring/mentoring and academic achievement
• Health and Wellness- nutrition, violence prevention/intervention, and environment
• Civic Literacy- voter registration and education, Civil Rights education
The Alpha Youth Leadership Institute serves early adolescent African American youth ages 10-17 years old and college freshman and sophomore students.
Scope of work:
We hope that UNM Service Corps members will accomplish:
• Greater commitment to community service.
• Great understanding of the factors that create disparities.
• Exposure to non-traditional learning environments.
UNMSC members will assist with:
• Program development
• Tutoring/mentoring early adolescent and college students
• Program facilitation
Members will be housed at Africana AFAM studies but will facilitate programs at various locations in the Albuquerque community. They will capture their learning through video documentation, journaling, and training.